Conferences and Events
NHS Birthday Events
On Wednesday July 5 2017 campaigners and unions celebrated Our NHS with a 69th Birthday Party.
Health Campaigns Together and the TUC worked together to coordinate events in hospitals all over England.
Here is the TUC blog.
Pictures of some of the dozens of events are available HERE
It's #OurNHS, and we will fight on to defend and restore it.
March 4 2017 demonstration in London
Click HERE to see photos and media and video coverage of our massive March 4 demonstration.
Challenging the STPs
Conference held in Birmingham on September 17 2016
The conference was a real success. 150 campaigners from all over England came to discuss the latest top-down reorganisation of the NHS and the challenge we face in defending local access to health services.
Speakers included Diane Abbott MP, Shadow Health Secretary. Download her speech HERE
- Statement agreed by campaigners present – download HERE
- Full text of (shortened) speech by John Lister, Secretary Keep Our NHS Public - HERE
- Full text of (shortened) speech from Caroline Bedale on Manchester Devo and STP process – HERE
- Speech from Su Lowe, Unite activist and health visitor – HERE
- Key points from the workshop discussions on how to develop campaigning
Conference: Health Campaigns Together to Win, Leeds 2016
For a report of the conference held in October 2016 and links to Yorkshire campaigns CLICK HERE.
Dr Yannis Gourtoyannis
Dr Louise Irvine
Defending the NHS conference
Saturday 30 January 2016, London Welsh Centre
For those who missed this successful conference, and for those who enjoyed it and want to remember what was said, here's what the key platform speakers said.
- Anne Drinkell, former Community Matron, on community services and social care
- Christina McAnea, Head of Health, UNISON
- Colenzo Jarrett-Thorpe, Unite National Officer
- Dr David Wrigley, Lancashire GP on crisis in primary care
- Dr Helen Fidler, Consultant, on junior doctors
- Dr Louise Irvine, GP on junior doctors
- Dr Yannis Gourtoyannis, BMA Junior Doctors Committee
- Carl Walker, on fighting for mental health
- Emma Corlett, on fighting for mental health
- Jenny Leow, on student nurse and AHP bursaries
- John Lister, Secretary Keep Our NHS Public, opening speech
- Paul Evans, Director, NHS Support Federation, on privatisation
- Peter Roderick, Campaign for the NHS Bill 2016
- Sally Ruane, Leicester campaigner on fighting hospital cuts and closures
- Workshop feedback reports
- Concluding speech - John Lister
Thank you to John Hully, Pragmatist Productions, who filmed and edited these on the day.
- Overview of conference and issues (8 minutes)
- John Lister, Secretary Keep Our NHS Public, summing up the objective of the conference
- Dr Helen Fidler, consultant, on Junior Doctors’ campaign
- Caroline Bedale from Manchester on Devo Manc
- David Wrigley, GP on the crisis in General Practice
- Peter Roderick on the NHS Bill campaign
- Anne Drinkell, retired Community matron on crisis in community & social care
- Dr Yannis Gourtsoyannis
- Keith Venables, co-chair Keep Our NHS Public
- Dr Carl Walker, Brighton, fighting mental health cuts and privatisation
- Jenny Leow, student OT, on bursaries campaign